Translate

Search This Blog

2017/10/17

My organ recital

Today, I did my first organ recital.
It was at St. James' Cathedral.



The programme included:
  • Prelude and Fugue in C Major by J. S. Bach (1685 - 1750)
  • Largo e spiccato by A. Vivali (1678 - 1741) arr. J. S. Bach
  • Prelude and Fugue in G Minor by J. S. Bach
  • Voluntary in A Minor by William Boyce (1711 - 1779)
  • Berceuse by Louis Vierne (1870 - 1937)
  • Trumpet Air by Bert van der Hoek (b. 1932)
  • Siciliano by Max Reger (1873 - 1916)
  • Gaelic Fantasy for Organ by Hans-Andre Stamm (b. 1958)


The prelude in C Major went smoothly, but I stumbled a little in the fugue.  I had a 'fat finger' in a couple pieces but the good news is I think that any future recitals will be easier than this one. I learnt how to recover from my mistakes while performing in public.

Here is a video of Largo e spiccato from my recital:


A huge "Thank you" to Ian Sadler, my teacher and Robert Busiakiewicz, the Director of Music at St. James' Cathedral for allowing me to do lessons at the Cathedral, plus practice time and for letting me perform.

It is hard to believe, Robert introduced me to Ian, last year on October 18th and I had my first organ lesson on October 30th.
Here is a picture from the day I met Ian.

A special thank you to everyone who came out to hear me play, including Julia, Elaine, Kelly, Ken, Christine, Lisa, Mervin, Lucy, Barbara, Sage, and all the homeschoolers.

And thank you to Mom and Dad, I couldn't have done this without you!



3 comments:

  1. Great job Josh!
    By the way, what is a "fat finger"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Auntie Aida!

      A 'fat finger' is when you accidentally have one finger play two notes at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Great job Josh! I honestly didn't hear many mistakes and quite a few people were dancing in their seats during the last piece.

    ReplyDelete