Translate

Search This Blog

2017/07/20

St. James Cathedral

People ask me what it is that I love about St. James Cathedral.... It is hard to put it into words. 

I love organ music and I go to the Tuesday Music at Midday organ concerts whenever I can. 
Above all, I like the people at St. James and I love that we share the same love of the organ. 
I have met some really wonderful people at the concerts and it was at one of these concerts that I met my organ teacher.  It makes me so happy that I am able to have lessons in such a beautiful, historic place and be a part of such a great community. 



St. James has been going strong since 1807!
Of course, there have been many changes since then.

In February, there was a display up in the church for Black History Month.. 
This picture shows Thornton Blackburn's taxi stand outside of St. James Cathedral around 1874.


Thornton Blackburn was a former slave from the United States and John Strachan, who was rector of St. James objected to returning the Blackburns to the U.S.
I love that there is a long history of treating people with respect. 



The Church building itself is beautiful. It has stained glass windows all around.
Each of them shows a different scene. 


If you look closely, you might be able to spot a small picture of the Cathedral in this window.

There is just something about the church that makes you want to take care of it. 

Of course, I love the organ itself....
It has 5101 pipes and it has such a wide range of sounds.




Here is an excerpt from Voluntary in A Minor by William Boyce.
(Mom taped me when I was having class one week.)

This one is Little Prelude and Fugue in G Minor by J.S. Bach

I am still very new at playing organ... My repertoire isn't yet varied enough to show off the full capabilities of the organ.

Here is a link to the website for the Cathedral Church of St. James:

No comments:

Post a Comment