Translate

Search This Blog

2013/12/10

Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis and Cécile McLorin Salvant

Dad and I went to Massey Hall yesterday to see Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis and vocals by Cécile McLorin Salvant. It was their Big Band Holiday Performance.

Here is a list of what they performed:

White Christmas
We Three Kings
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Sleigh Ride
Good Morning Blues
Nutcracker Suite (
arranged by Duke Ellington)

Good King Wenceslas
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
What Child Is This
Blame The Weather
Christmas Song
Jingle Bells

Little Drummer Boy


This was my first real jazz concert.
Jazz is different from classical music because they change up the way they play things when they perform and they sometimes use the instruments and mutes differently. Even when the musicians weren't playing they were tapping their feet or nodding their heads and still getting into the music.

The sax players had 2 or 3 saxophones each and one of them had a saxophone that went from his mouth to the ground when he was sitting!

Of the songs that they played my favourites were We Three KingsI Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus and Jingle Bells.

We Three Kings had a very different introduction by the rhythm section. I also liked the sax solo. The pianist stuck his hand inside the piano while he was playing - I wonder if he was muting the strings or if he was plucking them?
Here is a link to them performing the same song but it was slightly different from how they performed it yesterday.


The vocalist, Cécile McLorin Salvant's voice reminded me of recordings of Billie Holiday. Her voice was smooth and it makes you feel warm all over. She was excellent!

I really like jazz and I hope to go to more concerts in the future. (Hint, Hint Dad!)
Thanks Dad for taking me to my first Jazz concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment