Translate

Search This Blog

2014/12/30

Hogmanay at Mackenzie House

Last night we went to Hogmanay at Mackenzie House.

I decided to go straight to the printing press. I love working on the printing press but I was a little rusty. I put the letters in the wrong order and it turned out that I did a typo.

Can you spot the difference?


We got to visit the house and the dining table was all set up with food that might have been served around Christmas in the 1850s.

Oranges were a real delicacy and they were very expensive then. They even made candied orange peel because they didn't want to waste anything. Gelatin was also a treat because it took so long to make it. They also had on the table Turkish delight, pound cakes, short bread, plum pudding and other foods.

This was on the mantle in the parlour. I never noticed it before. 

We also got to tour the upstairs.

Girls my age would have to learn how to sew and they would make samplers like these. Mrs. Mackenzie must have been good at sewing. You can see the names of the members of her family sewn in at the top and she would have done this when she was very young.

I posed with the candle snuffer.

And here is a close up of the book that was on the table.

The Staff and Volunteer Historic Cooks of Mackenzie House made sweets for us to eat and our Haggis was brought in from But'N'Ben Scottish Bakers. (We absolutely love But'N'Ben and if you're ever in Scarborough you have to go there and try their Empire Cookies and Haggis!)

We had oatcakes with butter, jam & marmalade, gingerbread, dundee cake, mince tarts and Queen's drops.  

But, of course, I ate a lot of Haggis!


Gin Lane was wonderful and I loved it even more than last year! I sat right up front with Dad and my Mom stayed at the back or drifted around and took pictures and video. I forgot to ask permission if I could upload one of the video clips this year. But you can see a clip from last year's Hogmanay Performance here.

I really like this picture that Mom took.

I had so much fun!
I hope to go to Hogmanay again next year.

Thank you to all of the wonderful staff and volunteers at Mackenzie House for being such great hosts!


No comments:

Post a Comment